March 30, 2011

Closet Doors and Kissing Frogs

I talked about how much I hate our closet doors before and how I wanted to replace them with mirrored doors to add more light to the hallway. 
KINGSTAR - 60 X 80 STEEL WHITE FRAMELESS BOTTOM ROLL SLIDING MIRROR DOOR WITH POLISHED EDGES - M03-6080-BW - Home Depot Canada
I tried to find some used doors online (Craig's List and Kijiji) for forever awhile without success.  If you need some guidance on how to post items on sites like Craig's List to get them sold, check out my tips.  Let's just say the whole "kiss a bunch of frogs before you find a prince" thing applied.  Then finally we found some that had potential... $85 and they were the right size, they were gold (princely?), but I thought I could probably spray paint them, however they were also pretty beat up (prince after a sword-fight?  I think I'm losing my metaphor here...).  The big setback was that they didn't come with with the hardware and tracks needed to install them.  We went to HD (our second home) to see if we could find the hardware that we needed to use our existing tracks with the doors or new tracks that would fit the old hardware on the doors.  Long story short... we didn't.  We got to HD and while looking for hardware we discovered that they had interior doors on sale, we had a quick look and found exactly what we were looking for.  We got our brand new all hardware included mirrored doors for just over $100.  The posting for used doors was asking $85.  For an extra $15 or so it was well worth the brand new shiny easy-to-install solution.

We even managed to transport them home on my trusty steed Jetta.  That's right, we fit the 30" x 80" doors in the trunk (with the seats folded down).  Mine's not quite this shiny...
I love that car!  The trunk is huge!  Well... don't get me started on my Volkswagen love... I could go on and on...

And we lived happily ever after with our lovely new closet doors.

No comments: