February 28, 2011

Faux Built Ins

One project for the family room that I am so excited about is our "built in" shelving.  Originally I was planning to do built in shelving units along both sides of the fireplace.  Something like these (our fireplace is red brick as well)

Then I thought that may be a bit unoriginal and I wanted something a bit more modern looking.  Also our fireplace has a rounded brick hearth, which would have to be covered or incorporated into the design, adding an additional complication.

Then it happened... a flash of genius!  I could use the Ikea bookshelves that we had in our old house and create a kind of faux built in bookcase wall.  Beside the fireplace I had the perfect place for a shelving nook... I will explain.  As you may recall, the family room looked like this:
The plan is to fill that far wall with bookshelves to hold all of our DVDs, CDs and some decorative items using these
BILLY Bookcase black-brown Width: 31 1/2 " Depth: 11 " Height: 79 1/2 " Max load/shelf: 66 lb  Width: 80 cm Depth: 28 cm Height: 202 cm Max load/shelf: 30 kg


I'm so excited!  It's going to be amazing... can you picture it?  I will post some photos as soon as it is done.

No comments: